Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church (PRLC) is seeking a visionary Director who demonstrates enthusiasm for child-led learning, excellent organizational and leadership skills, and competence in working with the diverse communities we serve. The PRLC Child Development Center Director is responsible for overseeing all program operations and leadership of the school, in accordance with Department of Children, Youth, and Families licensing regulations and church policies. The Director reports to the Associate Pastor of PRLC, with oversight and support from the CDC Advisory Board (Board). Our school serves children ages 1-5 and employs a staff of approximately twenty.
● Child Interactions and Outcomes. Oversee the childcare program to ensure that services are meeting the needs of each child, consistent with the CDC’s philosophy, mission, and vision. We use the child-led learning philosophy.
● Staff Development and Management. Oversee and support all CDC staff through hiring, training, mentoring, scheduling, and performance reviews.
● Administration. Maintain child care health, safety, and licensing requirements without lapse. Work closely and collaboratively with the Board to develop, implement, and evaluate a strategic plan that includes both short- and long-term goals as well as budget development, tracking, and reporting.
● Parent and Family Relationships. Support parents in the process of inquiry and orientation, and facilitate ongoing support and education to families who utilize the CDC.
● Community Outreach and Church Presence. Facilitate connections between the CDC and the PRLC congregation, Phinney Ridge neighbors, and organizations outside our building, growing the CDC’s impact on the larger community. Participate in PRLC staff meetings, providing CDC updates and look for opportunities for school-church collaboration.
● Child-centered. Welcome, honor, and value children as the unique individuals they are. Thrive in the presence of their joy and moments of learning.
● Team oriented. CDC staff are the lifeblood that embraces the kids with care and thoughtful instruction. Facilitate a culture which supports, inspires, and mentors staff to feel connected, appreciated, and encouraged to grow.
● Committed to inclusivity. Actively seek resources that celebrate and support our diverse families and neighbors. Embrace and foster an anti-bias culture in our school.
● Organized. Find balance among the many demands of this position. Move fluidly between administrative tasks and serving in class as needed. Respond to requests from staff, parents, and the Board in a timely manner. Look for ways to delegate and advocate for what the CDC needs.
● ECE State Certificate or equivalent
● 3 years minimum direct experience in Early Childhood Education
● Experience as a lead teacher in a classroom
● A firm grasp of, and enthusiasm for, the child-led learning philosophy
● Comfortable working in a Christian setting
● Must pass Portable Background Check through MERIT
● Negative TB test or symptom screen/risk assessment
● First Aid and Adult, Child, Infant CPR/AED certification
● Blood Borne Pathogens Training
● Experience in leadership, management, and administration of a school
● Advanced education in Early Childhood Education
● Food handler’s permit (required to obtain upon hiring)
● Driver’s license and valid insurance
● Experience in facilitating anti-bias environments
● Salary DOE
● Competitive benefits package
● Funds and time for continuing education provided annually
PRLC is a Reconciling in Christ congregation, which means we are open and affirming of the
LGBTQ+ community. PRLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
citizenship status, gender expression, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual
orientation, or veteran status.
If interested, please send your cover letter, resume, and list of references to the search committee chair, at SearchCommittee@prlc.org.